Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Neck beard is not the answer

The Denver Broncos Cut Kyle Orton on Tuesday.  There has been much speculation about his possible return to Chicago.  Reports have come out that said Orton asked to be cut after learning about Jay Cutler's injury wanting to come back to Chicago.  Other reports say the interest is mutual.

I have two words for this BAD IDEA or like my lovely wife so eloquently put it and I quote "did I hear they are bringing F***in neck beard back?".  Have I told you how much I Love my wife by the way? Let me breakdown why this is a bad idea.

Mike Martz offense


First and foremost Orton is not familiar with Mike Martz's playbook.  Martz's playbook looks like a copy of War and Peace.  The shear size of it would take Orton more then the six weeks Cutler is reportedly out for Orton to absorb.  Now I'm sure that they would force feed him as much as they could and dumb it down if he was forced into action, but the Bears would be better off bringing in someone more familiar with this complex offense.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck......


The Bears got rid of Orton for a reason and the Broncos did the same only without the compensation.
Now I give you that he was 21-12 as a starter for the Bears.  But that was more him not losing the game then him contributing to the win.  Which granted is exactly what the Bears want from Hanie, but again Orton does not know the offense. Also Orton was the benefactor of great defense and special teams play which led to the good record he had.  Orton is not the guy I want to win a game that may have playoff implications.


Hanie does not need the added pressure


Whoever the Bears bring in is to back-up Hanie in the event he goes down.  Now if you bring in a guy who the fans know and Hanie has a bad game or two they start clamoring for Orton.  Now I am not saying that the fans have any influence on what the coaching staff does but this would be unnecessary  pressure that Hanie does not need.

This all may be moot point with teams like the Chiefs and Texans ahead of the Bears on the waiver claim line.  I think the Bears would be better suited to bring in someone who knows this offense and can help Hanie while backing him up.  So lets take a pass on neck beard or maybe we can get Washington to cut Rex Grossman and bring them both in.  Lets hope for a speedy recovery for Cutler and secure a playoff spot for him before he gets back.  Let me know what you think and as always BEAR DOWN Or maybe more appropriately BEARD DOWN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment